Princes Bridge Poster – Melbourne, Australia
Discover the perfect Melbourne Poster for your home, business or office at Just Posters
The Magnificent Princes Bridge in Melbourne was designed by Grainger and constructed in 1886-88.
John Harry Grainger had a deep love of music and was the father of famous composer Percy Grainger. In his day he was a prominent Engineer and Architect and is not so very well known today. His legacy is expressed in the fourteen bridges, at least five water supply and irrigations schemes and a large number of buildings that he designed, many of which are on heritage registers in Australia and New Zealand.
The Princes Bridge in Melbourne, completed in 1888, was the third bridge across the Yarra at that location. It's name "Princes Bridge" the name has survived through to the current bridge, the first bridge was named the “Prince of Wales“ built of timber in 1845 and in 1850 another in stone, named “Edward VII”. Melbourne was growing rapidly and there was a desperate need for a permanent river crossing into the city.
The Bridge is a triple span curved iron plate girder bridge. It’s constructed with Basalt [Bluestone] piers, abutments and wing walls; the upper sections are detailed with dressed granite and sandstone. The cast iron spans feature the coats of arms of; the “State of Victoria”, the “City of Melbourne”, the “Royal Arms” and six of the seven municipalities that financially contributed to the cost of erecting the bridge.
Distinguishing details are the footpaths cast iron balustrade the length of the bridge and the lamp standards crowning the giant columns. Princes Bridge is the symbolic entrance to the city of Melbourne and Melbourne's grandest bridge. It’s an important and prominent landmark that links Swanston Street, Saint Kilda Road and the Shrine of Remembrance
- The Princes Bridge Melbourne Poster is a reproduction of an original photograph.
- This poster is digitally printed on high quality paper with vivid colour and exceptional detail.
- We use Australia Post and your print will be delivered in a postage tube for extra protection.
- Our online images are electronically watermarked, the actual purchased prints are not.
- Click here for more Melbourne Posters...
- Available print sizes: A4 [210 × 297mm], A3 [297 × 420mm]. A2 [420 × 594mm], A1 [594 × 841mm] and A0 [841 × 1189mm]
- Click here to for the Print Size Guide for details.
Melbourne Poster - Princes Bridge
- Designer: TRAVEL - Modern
- Product Code: AMTP-M-118 - Princes Bridge Melbourne
- Availability: In Stock