Sydney Harbour Bridge - Australian Poster
Australia's Biggest "Coat Hanger"
The Sydney Harbour Bridge Officially opened on 19 March 1932; this enormous engineering endeavour transformed the city and the Bridge became an icon. The Bridge has an enormous steel arch spanning 1650 ft (503 mt) between a pair of pylons on each side which anchor it in place at Dawes Point and Milsons Point.The Bridge carries road, rail and pedestrian traffic on a deck suspended 170 ft ( 52m) above the water of Port Jackson.
Construction of the Sydney Harbour Bridge commenced in 1924 and it involved 1,500 men, 53,000 tonnes of steel, six million hand driven rivets and eight years to complete.
Retired cavalry officer, Francis De Groot hijacked the opening ceremony when he galloped forward on his horse and slashed the ceremonial ribbon with his sword, declaring the Bridge open in the name of “the decent citizens of New South Wales”. The ceremony continued after the ribbon was fixed and De Groot was taken to a mental hospital, declared insane and soon after fined for the cost of the ribbon.
Completed in 1932 the final cost was £10 million, doubling the original estimate. It took 56 years of bridge tolls for the people of Sydney to finally paid off the loan.
- The "Sydney Harbour Bridge" poster print is a reproduction of an original photograph.
- This poster is digitally printed on high quality paper with vivid colour and exceptional detail.
- We use Australia Post and your print will be delivered in a postage tube for extra protection.
- Our online images are electronically watermarked, the actual purchased prints are not.
- Click here for more Australian Posters from Just Posters
- Available print sizes: A4 [210 × 297mm], A3 [297 × 420mm]. A2 [420 × 594mm], A1 [594 × 841mm] and A0 [841 × 1189mm]
- Click here to for the Print Size Guide for details.
Australian Poster - Sydney Harbour Bridge
- Product Code: AMTP-S-121 - Sydney Harbour Bridge By Night Poster
- Availability: In Stock