Ned Kelly, in Chains - Photographic Poster
Ned Kelly in chains at the gaol the day before he was hanged.Edward (Ned) Kelly was the first person born in Victoria to be hanged.
Kelly was convicted for murder at Melbourne on 29 October 1880, Ned Kelly was a famous Australian bushranger and his amazing story still grips public imagination. Kelly’s body stayed suspended for 30 minutes as required by law to warrant he was dead after the execution. Half an hour afterwards, the body was lowered into the hospital cart, and taken to the dead-house.
THE EXECUTION OF EDWARD KELLY.
The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), Fri 12 Nov 1880 - [Page 6]
“The governor asked for his warrant, and having received it, in due form bowed in acquiescence. The new hangman, an elderly grey-headed, well-conditioned looking man, named Upjohn, who is at present incarcerated for larceny, made his appearance at this juncture from the cell on the opposite side of the gallows, entered the doomed man's cell with the governor, and proceeded to pinion Kelly. At first Kelly objected to this operation, saying, "There is no need for tying me;" but he had to submit, and his arms were pinioned behind by a strap above the elbows. He was then led out with a white cap on his head.
He walked steadily on to the drop; but his face was livid, his jaunty air gone, and there was a frightened look in his eyes as he glanced down on the spectators. It was his intention to make aspeech, but his courage evidently failed him, and he merely said, "Ah, well, I suppose it has come to this," as the rope was being placed round his neck.
An inquest was subsequently held upon the body, and the jury returned a verdict that deceased had been judicially hanged, and that the provisions of the act for the private execution of criminals had been properly carried out. The remains will be interred in the gaol yard this morning”.
- The "Ned Kelly in Chains"Poster is a reproduction of an original photograph.
- This poster is digitally printed on high quality paper with vivid colour and exceptional detail.
- We use Australia Post and your print will be delivered in a postage tube for extra protection.
- Our online images are electronically watermarked, the actual purchased prints are not.
- Available Poster sizes: A4 [210 × 297mm], A3 [297 × 420mm], A2 [420 × 594mm], A1 [594 × 841mm] and A0 [841 × 1189mm]
- Click here to for the Print Size Guide for details.
Ned Kelly in Chains, Melbourne
- Product Code: PP-126_Ned Kelly in Chains
- Availability: In Stock