Japanese Courtesan Hanao - Vintage Wood Block Poster.
A magnificent Wood Block Print of The Courtesan Hanao of Ogi-ya.
A Fine Art Poster of The Japanese Courtesan Hanao of Ogi-ya by Utagawa Kuniyoshi.
The Japanese expression ukiyo-e, literally “pictures of the floating world,” refers to a genre of Japanese artwork that thrived in the Edo period (1600–1868).
Ukiyo-e captured the short-lived dynamics of contemporary Japanese urban life. The subjects were wide ranging, from the portrayal of courtesans and actors to classical literature; the creative and technical details of these prints show extraordinary sophistication.
This aizuri-e (Indigo-Printed Image) is a panel from a triptych [an image or relief carving on three panels]. Indigo Blue pigment shades were popular in the 1830s, Prussian Blue pigment was imported from the Netherlands. This print was created before or during the early years of the Tenpō Reforms of 1841-1843, when there were government restrictions and censored many prints. The circle censor’s stamp on the Lower Left points out that the print was officially censored in advance by the printers before circulation.
About the Artist:
Utagawa Kuniyoshi was a painter, illustrator, designer of wood block prints, 1797-1861. He was born in Edo, Japan, in 1797, and died in 1861. He completed his apprenticeship with Toyokuni from 1811 to 1814, his earliest works were prints of actors and beautiful women. Recognised as a prominent artist around the 1830’s to the 1850’s and he produced in excess of 20,000 print designs. His subjects were varied and included, landscapes and images of marine creatures, but his images of warriors made him famous.
- The 'Courtesan Hanao of Ogi-ya by Utagawa Kuniyoshi' print is a reproduction of a Vintage Japanese Wood Block Print by Utagawa Kuniyoshi.
- This poster is digitally printed on high quality paper with vivid colour and exceptional detail.
- We use Australia Post and your print will be delivered in a postage tube for extra protection.
- Our online images are electronically watermarked, the actual purchased prints are not.
- Available print sizes: A4 [210 × 297mm], A3 [297 × 420mm], A2 [420 × 594mm], A1 [594 × 841mm] and A0 [841 × 1189mm]
- Click here to for the Print Size Guide for details.
Fine Art Poster - Japanese Courtesan Hanao of Ogi-ya - Kuniyoshi
- Product Code: FAJ-113 - Ogiya uchi hanaogi
- Availability: In Stock