Jane Avril - Poster By Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec
Jane Avril the 'Can-Can Dancer' made famous by Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec.
She was born Jeanne Beaudon in Belleville, on 9 June 1868 and Died on 17 January 1943. Her mother was a courtesan and her absent father, allegedly, was a foreign aristocrat. Abused as a child, she ran away from home, and was eventually admitted to the Salpêtrière Hospital, with the movement disorder 'St Vitus' Dance' (now thought to be Sydenham's Chorea). Under the care of Dr. Jean-Martin Charcot, the expert on "female hysterics", she received various kinds of treatment, and claimed in her biography that, when she discovered dance at a social dance for employees and patients at the hospital, she was cured. On leaving the hospital, after a failed romance, Jeanne thought to kill herself, but was taken in by the Madame of a Parisian brothel.
A woman of intelligence and with a sense of aloof grace, at age 42 she met and married the German artist, Maurice Biais (c. 1875–1926), and the couple moved to a home in Jouy-en-Josas at the outskirts of Paris. However, her husband soon began to stray, often disappearing for days at a time, and for years she lived a miserable existence with the irresponsible Biais. Without any financial support following his death in 1926, Avril lived in near poverty on what little was left of her savings.
Jane Avril died in a seniors' home in 1943 at the age of 75. She was interred in the Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris
This was the last poster of Jane Avril and the second last poster Lautrec created. Poor health prevented him from perusing this most important art form. He truly was the most significant French poster maker of his time.
- The 'Jane Avril' Poster is a reproduction of a Vintage Art Nouveau Poster.
- This poster is digitally printed on high quality paper with vivid colour and exceptional detail.
- We use Australia Post and your print will be delivered in a postage tube for extra protection.
- Our online images are electronically watermarked, the actual purchased prints are not.
- Available print sizes: A4 [210 × 297mm], A3 [297 × 420mm], A2 [420 × 594mm], A1 [594 × 841mm] and A0 [841 × 1189mm]
- Click here to for the Print Size Guide for details.
Art Nouveau Poster - Jane Avril, Toulouse-Lautrec
- Designer: Art Nouveau
- Product Code: ANP-116_Lautrec_Jane-Avril
- Availability: In Stock