Hobby-Horse Fair 1819 – Vintage Comic Illustration Poster.
This magnificent Caricature illustration of the Hobby Horse craze.
The hobby horse was the first type of rudimentary bicycle. Hobby horse had no pedals or brakes and the rider gained forward motion by simply pushing his feet along the ground. Invented by the German born Baron von Drais and was patented in France in 1817. The contraption became a huge sensation and popularity broadened to the USA, Germany and Britain.
Denis Johnson, a British coach builder manufactured his own improved version and it was soon christened the ‘hobby horse’. English hobby horses were more advanced than the Draisine; iron frame replacing timber, adjustable seat, padded arm rest and reconfigured handlebars. The hobby horse became the subject of caricaturists and satirists as the machine became trendy and eagerly taken up by rich young men around London’s parks. Fashion was short lived after the novelty wore off but acted as a springboard for the development in the bicycle.
This wonderful hand coloured print illustrates men and women riding bicycles and tricycles to a fair. The artwork was created by Isaac Cruikshank a Scottish painter and caricaturist, born in Edinburgh and spent most of his career in London. Cruikshank is recognized for his social and political satire, his sons Isaac Robert and George Cruikshank also became accomplished artists.
- "Hobby-Horse Fair 1819" Poster is a reproduction of an original hand coloured etching.
- This poster is digitally printed on high quality paper with vivid colour and exceptional detail.
- We use Australia Post and your print will be delivered in a postage tube for extra protection.
- Our online images are electronically watermarked, the actual purchased prints are not.
- Available print sizes: A4 [210 × 297mm], A3 [297 × 420mm], A2 [420 × 594mm], A1 [594 × 841mm] and A0 [841 × 1189mm]
- Click here to for the Print Size Guide for details.
Vintage Comic Poster - Hobby-Horse Fair 1819
- Designer: BOOK Illustrations
- Product Code: VNPP-US-115_Hobby-Horse-Fair
- Availability: In Stock