Swallow & Ariell's Biscuits and Cakes - 1920's Australian Advertising Poster
Australia’s First Biscuit CompanyThe artwork for the original colour lithograph was created for Swallow & Ariell's Biscuits and Cakes and printed by Osboldstone & Co. printers during the 1920’s.
The Illustration presents an image picture of a young girl with a shopping basket reaching over a shop counter in a grocery shop pointing at a box of Swallow & Ariell Uneeda biscuits. Those were the days when grocers sold biscuits from biscuit tins, customers brought them home in paper bags.
The was founded by Thomas Swallow in 1854, he partneredwith Thomas Ariell and they established a factory in Port Melbourne (then known as Sandridge). Swallow & Ariell's Biscuits and Cakes business grew from one small Port Melbourne building in 1854 manufacturing ships’ biscuits to an enormous industrial manufacturing works by the early 1900’s manufacturing biscuits, tinned cakes, plum puddings, jams, syrups, and preserved fruit. Swallow & Ariell were involved in flour milling, sugar refining and became one of the most successful biscuit manufacturers in the world.
The Swallow & Ariell brand was an Australian household name, well-known for their delicious Ginger Nut and Arrowroot biscuits. Fighting international multinational competition, the company was forced to merge with other local manufacturers during the 1960 in an attempt to remain competitive. The company wound down its Port Melbourne operations in the early 1990’s, 450 workers were laid off on a single day in 1991.
These were the biscuits that Burke & Wills took with them on their ill-fated expedition across Australia, they were taken on Antarctic expeditions and given to soldiers as army supplies during world Wars I and II.on a single day in 1991.
- The "Swallow & Ariell's Biscuits and Cakes" Poster is a reproduction of a Vintage Australian Advertising Poster.
- This poster is digitally printed on high quality paper with vivid colour and exceptional detail.
- We use Australia Post and your print will be delivered in a postage tube for extra protection.
- Our online images are electronically watermarked, the actual purchased prints are not.
- Available Poster sizes: A4 [210 × 297mm], A3 [297 × 420mm], A2 [420 × 594mm], A1 [594 × 841mm] and A0 [841 × 1189mm]
- Click here to for the Print Size Guide for details.
Vintage Australian Advertising Poster - Swallow & Ariell's Biscuits and Cakes
- Designer: Advertising - Vintage
- Product Code: VAP-AU-113_Swallow-and-Ariell-Biscuits-and-Cakes
- Availability: In Stock