The Route to Wattle Park - Melbourne Map Poster
Melbourne Tramway Map,The Route to Wattle Park - The Tramway is the Only Way.
A wonderful vintage coloured map promoting Melbourne tram services to:
The Map was created by Vernon Jones and published for the Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board (M&MTB) around 1925.
"The Route to Wattle Park - The Tramway is the Only Way"
The route to Wattle Park - the tramway is the only way
The HTT (Hawthorn Tramways Trust) purchased 137 acres of pastoral land from Mrs Eliza Welch, the widow of the founder of the Ball & Welch department store, in 1915 for £9,000. The legal requirement was that that the land was to be used as a public park. The park was opened by the Governor of Victoria, Sir Arthur Stanley on 31 March 1917. A Golden Wattle was planted at the commemoration which gave the Park its name.
Most of the tramline currently used by route 70 was initially built and run by the HTT in 1916–17. It operated between the Batman Avenue terminus, opposite Flinders Street Station, to the intersection of Warrigul Road (then Boundary Road) and Riversdale Road.
The HTT Batman Avenue line was Melbourne's only electric tram line that reached the city of Melbourne. The MMTB (Melbourne and Metropolitan Traways Board) appropriated the line in 1920, and in 1928, continued the line a further 2 kilometers to Wattle Park at the Riversdale Road and Elgar Road intersection. The track was extended a further to 1.9 kilometres to Wattle Park on 1 July 1928, by which stage it had been taken over by the Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board. In 1934, the line was given the Route 70 designation, which it still holds today.
- The 'The route to Wattle Park - the tramway is the only way' Poster is a reproduction of an original Poster.
- This poster is digitally printed on high quality paper with vivid colour and exceptional detail.
- We use Australia Post and your print will be delivered in a postage tube for extra protection.
- Our online images are electronically watermarked, the actual purchased prints are not.
- Available print sizes: A4 [210 × 297mm], A3 [297 × 420mm]. A2 [420 × 594mm], A1 [594 × 841mm] and A0 [841 × 1189mm]
- Click here to for the Print Size Guide for details.
Melbourne Map Poster - The Route to Wattle Park
- Product Code: VMP-117_The_Route-to-Wattle-Park
- Availability: In Stock