General Post Office Poster – Melbourne, Australia
The GPO is on the corner of Elizabeth and Bourke Streets in Melbourne's CBD.This magnificent building originally served as the GPO (General Post Office of Victoria). The interior of the building was severely damaged by fire in 2001, the building was restored and remodelled in 2004 as a retail complex. The building is listed on the Commonwealth of Australia and the State of Victoria Heritage Registers. The famous building is still used as a point of reference for the measure of distances from the centre of Melbourne. Designed by Arthur Ebden Johnson in the Victorian period and several other architects, including Walter Burley Griffin and John Smith Murdoch, were involved in the extension and growth of the building.
Historically important, the GPO is one Victoria’s primary public buildings. It enabled postal communications during the early development of the Colony of Victoria and helped keeping the links open with Britain and Europe. The front steps and clock tower are Melbourne landmarks. Classical architectural design incorporating Doric columns in the first level, Ionic columns in the second and Corinthian columns in the third.
A great place to stop for coffee, browse the boutiques and wander through the arcade running from Bourke Street through to Little Bourke St.
- The 'Melbourne - General Post Office' Poster is a reproduction of an original photograph.
- This poster is digitally printed on high quality paper with vivid colour and exceptional detail.
- We use Australia Post and your print will be delivered in a postage tube for extra protection.
- Our online images are electronically watermarked, the actual purchased prints are not.
- Available print sizes: A4 [210 × 297mm], A3 [297 × 420mm]. A2 [420 × 594mm], A1 [594 × 841mm] and A0 [841 × 1189mm]
- Click here to for the Print Size Guide for details.
Melbourne Poster - Melbourne - General Post Office
- Designer: TRAVEL - Modern
- Product Code: PPA-V-125 -Melbourne - General Post Office
- Availability: In Stock