Benedictine Liqueur - Vintage French Promorional Poster
Benedictine by Leonetto CappielloThe original colour lithograph was designed by Leonetto Cappiello around 1907. The magnificent illustration advertises the liqueur made in the Benedictine Palace of Fécamp, Normandy. The illustration depicts a person dressed in red, sitting on the edge of a window, raises a lantern above the Benedictine palace with a bottle of Benedictine placed beside him.
The story of Benedictine Liqueur dates back to 1510 when a Venetian monk of the Abbey of Fécamp, Dom Bernardo Vincelli, created an elixir intended as a tonic to promote good health. The delicious tonic was so well received that the Benedictine monks continued the liqueur’s production up until the French Revolution and during the chaos of those dreadful times of the Revolution the recipe was lost. It wasn't until 1863, 300 years later, when Alexandre le Grand a wine merchant from Fécamp, discovered the recipe in his library. Alexandre was successful in recreating the magnificent brew after twelve months and numerous attempts. He named the Liqueur Benedictine, in honour of the monk Dom Bernardo Vincelli, and erected a palace for distillation, the Palais Bénédictine in Fécamp. We have Alexandre le Grand to thank for the liqueur we have today.
About the artist: Leonetto Cappiello was one of history’s finest Poster Artists. He succeeded lithographers Toulouse-Lautrec (1864-1901), Jules Cheret (1836-1932) and Alphonse Mucha (1860-1939) as a prominent advertising poster designer. While in Paris, Cappiello completed a number of poster designs for Italian publishers and global brand companies like Campari. Cappiello is to this day considered the father of modern advertising and was one of the most successful poster designers of the 20th century. He created more than 500 poster lithographs and influenced a new generation of graphic designers
- The "Benedictine by Leonetto Cappiello" Poster is a reproduction of a Vintage Italian Advertising Poster.
- This poster is digitally printed on high quality paper with vivid colour and exceptional detail.
- We use Australia Post and your print will be delivered in a postage tube for extra protection.
- Our online images are electronically watermarked, the actual purchased prints are not.
- Available Poster sizes: A4 [210 × 297mm], A3 [297 × 420mm], A2 [420 × 594mm], A1 [594 × 841mm] and A0 [841 × 1189mm]
- Click here to for the Print Size Guide for details.
Benedictine Liqueur - Vintage French Promotional Poster
- Designer: Promotional - Vintage
- Product Code: VFAP-123_Benedictine_[Cappiello]
- Availability: In Stock