Cycles Legia - Vintage Bicycle Advertising Poster
Cycles et Automobiles LegiaThe artwork for the original colour lithograph was produced by Georges Gaudy and printed by O. de Rycker & Mendel, Bruxelles in 1898. The publics fascination with machines and modern transport, linked to concepts of technological progress was vividly reflected in advertising at the dawn of the 20th century.
This wonderful illustration features an image of elegance and sophistication, a female figure wearing fashionable sporty clothes, characteristics that define a certain type and look of the period. The woman looking into the distance at the 'future' to a couple in a motorised light Legia car. The Legia was designed by M. Sklin and built in the Deprez-Joassart bicycle factory in Herstal. It was a small 160 kg tricycle, driven by a single-cylinder De Dion or Aster, coupled to a two-speed transmission. The single front wheel took care of the steering and the drive. This vehicle achieved a top hair-raising speed of 30 km/h.
Georges Gaudy was a Belgian painter, poster artist and champion cyclist. His first poster was commissioned for the Brussels Velodrome and many of his works featured bicycle and car manufacturers. Gaudy was a member of the Société des Aquafortistes Belges and the Cercle Artistique et Litteraire de Bruxelles. Gaudy’s Art Nouveau style poster clearly demonstrates the influence of Japanese woodcut printing.
- The "Cycles et Automobiles Legia" Poster is a reproduction of a Vintage Advertising Poster.
- This poster is digitally printed on high quality paper with vivid colour and exceptional detail.
- We use Australia Post and your print will be delivered in a postage tube for extra protection.
- Our online images are electronically watermarked, the actual purchased prints are not.
- Available Poster sizes: A4 [210 × 297mm], A3 [297 × 420mm], A2 [420 × 594mm], A1 [594 × 841mm] and A0 [841 × 1189mm]
- Click here to for the Print Size Guide for details.
Vintage Advertising Poster - Cycles et Automobiles Legia
- Designer: Advertising - Vintage
- Product Code: VAP-F-114_Cycles et Automobiles Legia_[Gaudy]
- Availability: In Stock