Chateau Tongariro, New Zealand - Vintage Travel Poster
New Zealand Railways, Chateau Tongariro.The original Colour Lithographic Poster was produced in 1932, for New Zealand Railways Publicity Branch. The poster provides contact information for International visitors interested adventuring in New Zealand and the luxurious Chateau Tongariro.
The Paramount Chief of Ngati Tuwharetoa, Horonuku Te Heu Heu Tukino gifted the tribes land – including the sacred mountain peaks of Ruapehu, Ngauruhoe and Tongariro - to the people of New Zealand in 1887. The bequest was to ensure a legacy; conservation of the for all time and for all the people of New Zealand.
The greatest boost to New Zealand’s undeveloped tourist industry followed the opening of the North Island railway in 1908. Destinations became reachable and the central North Island’s Tongariro National Park developed into a popular holiday destination in the 1920s.
The grand Chateau Tongariro in Tongariro National Park opened its doors in 1929 and was owned by the New Zealand government's tourism department. The Chateau's elegant entrance contrasts with the ruggedness of the snow-covered mountain in the background.
The Chateau was designed by Timaru based architect Herbert Hall (1880-1939), his design was modelled on the Canadian Resort of Lake Louise a neo-Georgian four story building including a basement.
Sadly, the promise to Horonuku Te Heu Heu Tukino, Chief of Ngati Tuwharetoa was compromised, the New Zealand Government privatised the Chateau in 1990 and it was sold to a non-NZ firm, Oriental Holdings Berhad (OHB), a Malaysian-based conglomerate and the ski area was sold to a separate company. The Chateau Tongariro is currently operated by Bayview International Hotels and Resorts, also a subsidiary of Oriental Holdings Berhad (OHB).
- The "New Zealand - Chateau Tongariro" poster is a reproduction of an original Vintage Travel Poster.
- This poster is digitally printed on high quality paper with vivid colour and exceptional detail.
- We use Australia Post and your print will be delivered in a postage tube for extra protection.
- Our online images are electronically watermarked, the actual purchased prints are not.
- Available Poster sizes: A4 [210 × 297mm], A3 [297 × 420mm], A2 [420 × 594mm], A1 [594 × 841mm] and A0 [841 × 1189mm].
- Click here to for the Print Size Guide for details.
Vintage Travel Poster - New Zealand - Chateau Tongariro
- Product Code: VTP-NZ-110 -Chateau Tongariro, New Zealand
- Availability: In Stock