The Switzerland of the South - Vintage Australian Travel Poster
Tasmania - The Switzerland of the South.The original poster was created by Harry Garnet Kelly and is best known for this particular artwork. A Colour lithograph 1930s (The precise date of this poster is unknown). Printed by Mercury Press, Hobart, for the Tasmanian Government Tourist Bureau.
Lake St Clair is the deepest freshwater lake in Australia, over 170 metres (557 feet deep). The Lake is on the southern border of Cradle Mountain, Lake St Clair National Park and the last point of the Overland Track, one of the world’s greatest bush-walks.The Indigenous people of the area called the Lake Leeawuleena, meaning sleeping water.
By the 1930s Tasmania was commonly known as the 'Switzerland of the South'. The catchphrase placed Tasmania in a European perspective, even though the image of Mount Ida with Lake St. Clair in the foreground is distinctively Tasmanian.
“’Tasmania the Switzerland of the South’, was the subject taken by Mr E.T. Emmett... for his lunch hour address to members of the Club yesterday.
The lecturer was introduced to his audience and welcomed to the club by the president...and gave an interesting description of the different varieties of scenic beauty to be found on the island, many parts of which, he mentioned we as yet unexplored. He also referred to the wonder of the National Park, with its 40,000 acres of waterfalls, forests, lakes and mountains, and the growing popularity of the snow sports. Trout fishing, he stressed, also attracted numerous tourists to the island yearly.”
“Beautiful Tasmania”, Brisbane Courier, 16 August 1929
- The "Tasmania, The Switzerland of the South" poster is a reproduction of an original Vintage Tasmanian Travel Poster.
- This poster is digitally printed on high quality paper with vivid colour and exceptional detail.
- We use Australia Post and your print will be delivered in a postage tube for extra protection.
- Our online images are electronically watermarked, the actual purchased prints are not.
- Available Poster sizes: A4 [210 × 297mm], A3 [297 × 420mm], A2 [420 × 594mm], A1 [594 × 841mm] and A0 [841 × 1189mm].
- Click here to for the Print Size Guide for details.
Vintage Travel Poster - Tasmania, The Switzerland of the South
- Product Code: VTP-AU-125 -Tasmania, Switzerland of the South
- Availability: In Stock